Friday, December 3, 2010

Recommended for Pretty Much Anyone Willing

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

Contrary to popular belief, The Lord of the Rings isn't actually a trilogy. It is one novel simply split into three parts - that and many people find it easier to read three separate books rather than deal with one massive tome. Like me. Why else do you think I sprung for the 50th Anniversary Edition with it's gorgeous hardcover and gilded pages? Whatever way you prefer to read it, this is the fantasy story, the quintessential tale of the battle between good and evil...with a few Hobbits stuck in the middle of it.

If you haven't read this, but you've seen the movies, then you ought to read this (...just read it in any case). Besides, even though I'm not a naysayer of the movies (love 'em), in the book Frodo isn't a total pansy, that whole Warg thing never happened, King Theoden was always ready to rock, and Sam ruled even more of the universe. Overall? A long, albeit good, read.



Notes from the playlist: "The Bridge of Khazad Dûm" by Howard Shore

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Nicole, I too, have traveled from sea to shining sea. You might include the English Channel, Mediterranean Sea, Philippine Sea and Caribbean. I will admit I have a quite few years on you. Lord of the Rings is a must read for all literature or fantasy enthusiasts. I would recommend starting with Silmarillion, which reads like the bible to Tolkien's Middle Earth. I would really love a free copy of I Am Numer Four. I have been without a book for nearly 2 weeks. Nothing has jumped out at me, but that movie certainly looks interesting. You can contact me at sandie_online @yahoodotcom. If I don't win 'Number Four' I might have to reread Tolkien. Would love to hear from you. BTW Have you read George R R Martin? His Ice and Fire series is due to premier on HBO in a few weeks. Award winning fantasy!!! Sandra from Cleveland.

Caraval by Stephanie Garber

Whoops! I completely forgot to mention this. Last month I reviewed Stephanie Garber's amazing book Caraval for the web blog I curre...