Friday, February 26, 2010

Recommended for Magic Practioners and Fantasy Writers

The Encyclopedia of Crystals by Judy Hall.

I don't actually use this book for it's designed purpose. It's a new age book meant to give you detailed information about the spiritual properties of crystals. It's like the new age field guide to crystals. This encyclopedia is color-coded and offers insight into what certain minerals and crystals can be used for (i.e. drawing energy, promoting power, and more). It does give some scientific bits as well, makeup, location, hardness, etc. But it's handy for magical systems and other spots that raw earth materials might be used. And it includes gorgeous pictures as well.

I actually use this for writing. How's that work? I write fantasy and as much as I love titles published by DK, I never found a field guide that I liked. I use this for magic systems I may create, finding the right crystal or mineral to match whatever properties and situations are involved. That makes it handy for both writers and those interested in new age spiritualism and magic.



Notes from the playlist: "Time for Miracles" by Adam Lambert

No comments:

Caraval by Stephanie Garber

Whoops! I completely forgot to mention this. Last month I reviewed Stephanie Garber's amazing book Caraval for the web blog I curre...